Rory Mcilory continues his march towards greatness with his win at the British Open. He becomes only 3rd man to win 3 majors by age 25. He joins Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods in that category. That’s some pretty elite company to be in. Mcilory is already 3/4 of the way to a career grand slam, only lacking a Masters. I had Mcilory as my favorite heading into the tournament, and he was clinical this past week.
He led wire to wire, dominated the par 5s, and answered every run made it at him. Mcilory has the whole package. He’s the world’s most talented player, and he’s capable of winning on any course he steps foot on. I don’t think Mcilory can quite go on the run Tiger Woods did in the early 2000s, but he’s the only player on the plant capable of winning double digit majors in the next 10-15 years.
- Two other players I had in my top 10 preview, had solid tournaments. Rickie Fowler is getting and getting closer to joining the world’s best players. He had his 3rd top 5 finish in majors this year, and I think it’s safe to say the partnership with Butch Harmon is working out very well. Fowler is becoming a world class player, and I think it’s only a matter of time before he wins that first major.
- Sergio Garcia showed what he’s capable of with a T2 finish. He remains one of the best ball strikers around, and he’s close to the age when Phil Mickelson won his first major. Garcia won’t win 5 majors, but I have a hard time seeing end his career without at least one.
- Tigers Woods finished 69th. This wasn’t a shock. I don’t think anyone felt he could realistically contend. It was just too soon after his surgery, and only because his name is Tiger Woods was he even considered to have a chance. That doesn’t change the fact that Woods has really really long way to go before anyone can even think him restarting his chase of Jack Nicklaus. Frankly I believe the chase is over.
- Adam Scott looks like he is here to stay. He got the wrong side of the weather on Thursday and Friday and still finished -12 T5. That’s his 11th top 15 Major Finish in his last 12 tries. Mcilory may really be the best player going, but Scott is definitely in any top 3 list.
- Phil Mickelson had a decent tournament finishing T23. Mickelson has had a fairly indifferent year. He doesn’t have a single top 10, but he’s had quite a few top 25 finishes, and it seems he’s starting to play some good golf. Don’t be surprised if Mickelson ends the year with some good results.
- How about 64 year old Tom Watson? He made the cut and ended up T51 with a Sunday 68. He finished tied with Jason Dufner and beat guys like Matt Kuchar, Martin Kaymer, Jason Day, Luke Donald, and Tiger Woods in the process. That’s a pretty impressive showing for Mr. Watson
- The next major, the PGA Championship, will be held at Valhalla country club in Louisville Kentucky, August 7-10. Tiger Woods won the PGA Championship there in 2000.