(h/t @washingtonpost for this photo of Whit Babcock)
Good evening, Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) fans!! What great weather all around ACC country!!!
Virginia Tech, its President, and its Board of Visitors needs to extend Whit Babcock’s (the Athletic Director) contract now – the University should not wait.
We chronicled Babcock’s moves here. There have been plenty – he’s made three big coaching hires in Justin Fuente (Football), Buzz Williams (Men’s Basketball), and Kenny Brooks (Women’s Basketball). He’s kept Frank Beamer’s legacy alive with several landmarks around campus, kept Bud Foster in the fold, established new sources of revenue, made monster moves on baseball facilities, and he hasn’t messed with the success of other sports.
Now comes the news of Virginia Tech’s new athletic facility improvements (h/t @techsideline). Specifically, Virginia Tech is making millions of dollars of facility improvements and upgrades to the:
- Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center: $2 million
- Bowman Room (The Center for Student Athlete Nutrition and Donor Hospitality): $2 million
- Thompson Field (Soccer Programs): $500,000-$600,000
- Golf Simulator and Offices: $650,000
- South Endzone Concessions: $15,000
- English Field at Union Park (Baseball): $10-18 million
- Hahn-Hurst Weight Room (Basketball Practice Facility): $150,000-$175,000
- Total: $15.3 million to $23.4 million
Listen, folks, we have ourselves an Athletic Director here at Virginia Tech. Clearly one of the best in the country. Whit Babcock has shown that he can make the big hire, make improvements to facilities, and improve an overall athletic program – his next two moves most certainly will be on head coaching hires for baseball and men’s soccer – both need a big time boost – and we have the right guy in the athletic director chair making that decision. I’m certain that Virginia Tech can be a consistent top 25 school in the Learfield Sports Director’s Cup when Whit makes these next two moves – because he’s made all the right moves.
Say it with me, Hokie Nation: Extend Whit Babcock’s Contract Now!!