This week was Operation ACC Basketball, but let’s not forget there’s still plenty of meaningful football to be played in the Atlantic Coast Conference. There are a couple of intriguing primetime matchups this week, starting tonight when North Carolina faces Pittsburgh. With the divisional battles ratcheting up, especially in the Coastal Division, it’s too early to just worry about basketball.
1. Clemson – An ALL SPORTS DISCUSSION EXCLUSIVE highlight reel from Clemson’s game against Miami last week.
2. Duke – The Blue Devils proved the age-old football adage true this week: If you can beat Virginia Tech in four overtimes, you deserve a spot in the top 25. Never mind, you know, any of those other teams you beat.
3. North Carolina – The Coastal Division in football could be coming down to the Duke-North Carolina rivalry. Just as God intended it …
4. Pittsburgh – … With that said, the Panthers probably have other plans, starting … *checks watch* tonight at 7:00 PM eastern time. It’s gonna be a real good time.
5. Florida State – I know the All Sports Discussion podcast has a clean rating, and I try to keep my writing equally G-rated … but what the actual hell, Florida State? That’s all I’ve got. WTH?
6. Louisville – The Cardinals defense matched Boston College’s vaunted defensive unit stride-for-stride, all the way to both teams scoring non-offensive touchdowns during their game Saturday. Ultimately, Louisville prevailed in the low-scoring contest.
7. NC State – The Wolfpack executed the “score 28 points in the first quarter” strategy to perfection in their win over Wake Forest. More teams should try that. I highly recommend it.
8. Georgia Tech – Welcome to the party, Yellow Jackets! First conference win of the season for Georgia Tech, just in time for a solid chance to double-up against Virginia. Don’t call it a comeback!
9. Miami – This Saturday at Miami, the most popular Halloween costumes will be former Hurricanes’ football coaches and plastic orange seats.
10. Virginia Tech - #Pray4HokiesTwitter
11. Boston College – The Eagles’ defense is really trying to do it all. Heck, they even scored half of BC’s points against Louisville. Still wasn’t enough, bless their hearts.
12. Wake Forest – Unless the Deacons can get three wins in their last four games (which include matchups with Notre Dame, Clemson, and Duke), they will likely be the only North Carolina ACC team to miss out on bowl eligibility this season. You can’t say Wake hasn’t improved this year, though.
13. Virginia – Defensively, Virginia matched their performance from last year against UNC’s explosive offense. However, the Cavaliers actually faced a Tar Heel defense this year rather than 11 tackling dummies and turned over the ball five times.
14. Syracuse – The Orange have the good fortune of facing Florida State in Tallahassee one week after a disappointing and unexpected loss. I’m so sorry, Syracuse. It’s not your fault.
Until next week, peace, love, and #goacc.