Good evening and Happy New Year, Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) Men’s Basketball Fans!!!
We’re three games into the ACC conference season for all of the teams – and it’s time for our 2nd ACC hoops power poll – the power poll has a very Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill look to it because Triangle hoops is playing well!! Here we go:
- Duke – Duke misses Ryan Kelly – in a big way – still a very good team.
- NC State – The Wolfpack had an elite-level win vs. Duke this past Saturday – will the Pack not do the #NCStateSheet thing and lose to Maryland on the road this week? Win vs. Maryland – and NC State will find their team at #1 in this poll.
- Miami – Shane Larkin continues to impress me – the Canes team chemistry is off the charts right now.
- North Carolina – The Heels picked up a big win on the road vs. the Noles – and by virtue of that win, they move above FSU.
- Florida State – It’s hard for us to read Florida State – can you? Still, we don’t think we can move them down into the lower half of the conference – yet.
- Wake Forest – Our site owner, @TalkinACCSports, called it – Deacs might be the ACC’s most improved team from late November until now. Travis McKie is playing quite well, thank you.
- Maryland – Terps came up against a tough Miami and FSU defenses – and this young group found out what the ACC is like – having said that, expect the Terps to get better.
- Virginia – Hoos, ugh, those losses to Wake and Clemson will indeed catch up with you (Took some of the good Karma away from that North Carolina win).
- Boston College – If the Eagles could have won at Wake, Steve Donahue might have been an early candidate (albeit, massively early) for ACC coach of the year honors.
- Virginia Tech – James Johnson made one of the best early coaching moves of his young career at Virginia Tech – when he switched to a zone defense in the game vs. Georgia Tech – it helped the Hokies avoid an 0-3 start in the ACC.
- Clemson – Just when you think the Tigers are ready to collapse and are offensively impotent, they get a blow out win vs. the Hoos.
- Georgia Tech – Jackets head man, Brian Gregory, did not make the proper coaching adjustments on hokies zone defense. Jackets could start out 0-5 in the ACC. If they are not careful, the wheels could fall off.
And that’s it for this week’s ACC Power Poll!!! Stay tuned next week for our next poll!!