The latest BCS scenarios have Florida State at 9. Now in all likelihood Florida State will end up in the Orange Bowl, but I’m calling this fantasy scenario but with a twist of realism, where FSU gets in the national title game.
Chances are really slim I know that, but lets see what has to happen. Even this might might not be enough, because the numbers may not quite work out, but it would put the Noles close I guarantee it.
This is like the mathematical chance of a 7-9 team getting a wild card sport in the NFL, but lets have some fun with things.
1. FSU must win out including the ACCCG. That would get them to 12-1. While wins at Virginia Tech and Maryland and a very average Coastal division champions won’t really help, there is a very strong game left for the Noles. That’s the Florida Gators who should be ranked in the top 10 and 11-1 when that game rolls around providing an opportunity to help the computer numbers and impress voters.
2. Now in front of Florida State 5 of these 6 teams need to lose a game, that would be Alabama, Kansas State, Notre Dame, Oregon, LSU, and Georgia.
3. Alabama plays LSU – Actually it’s better if LSU loses this game. The Tigers would certainly fall behind FSU at the very least in the human polls, Alabama might not with a loss.
4. Alabama beats Georgia in the SEC Title game. Georgia ends with computer killing games against Ole Miss, Auburn, Ga Southern, and Georgia Tech.
Now keep up FSU has defeated Florida, and Alabama has defeated LSU and Georgia. The Noles go from 8th to 5th already in a scenario most anyone can see happening.
5. Oregon still has to play 3 ranked teams – USC, Stanford, and Oregon State. Their computer numbers aren’t strong. Losing late is a killer. The Ducks lose any of those FSU moves to 4th.
6. Kansas State has a an easier road but still a tricky one – There are games with Oklahoma St., at TCU, at Baylor, and Texas. Ok Texas stinks but eventually they’ll play to that 100 Million dollar budget, right? Lose one FSU is third.
7. Notre Dame gets computer killing games with Pitt, Wake Forest, and BC. They’ll win those and then have a tough game at USC. Lose the USC game and FSU is 2nd.
8. It also helps if Clemson beats South Carolina ensuring the computer numbers don’t keep the Gamecocks ahead of FSU. The Gamecocks are currently 8th, but the human polls have FSU ahead of South Carolina. If Florida State beats a team (Florida) that crushed South Carolina, that’s probably not a concern, and now Florida State has 2 top 10 BCS wins.
I think the Florida State needs to become a huge USC fan. Also they need to root hard for Clemson. If the Tigers finish 11-1 they are going to be a top 10 BCS team, which would would provide a additional boost to Florida State. It’s pretty far fetched, honestly really far fetched but is it outside the realm of any possibility?